CryptHome

Where The Dead Will Rise
It is currently December 13th, 2017, 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: End of private servers coming near?, Who knows...
PostPosted: December 13th, 2008, 11:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin
 Personal album  WWW  ICQ  YIM  Profile

Highscores: 170
Stuff to read from other forums

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Well As some of you may already know, blizzard has begun its raid on private servers. It seems as though people have already felt this affect, if you visit all those top listed servers you will see something along the lines of DNCA or w.e has shut us down.

As a rumor i have heard, apparently in the coming patch's blizzard is going to try and impliment a file capable of letting them know the IP of the private server you connect to. Illegal? i would say so, i dont care what company you are, you have no right to track a person's activity and or other information without consent!

Well anyways post your thoughts and feel free to correct me if im wrong!
-NO FLAMING
-try to keep this thread clean! =]

Any other info i find ill keep posted!

thanks- master257~~~
Technically it'd be illegal. Yes they own the rights to the files, but putting a file on your computer to know where your going, is illegal, and Blizzard could be sued for that.

Also, Let them come after servers, They've done it before, and ended up quitting it. They're going after Soft Layer's users who run domains. Smaller ones they'll have no chance against who run their computer home based.

I'll be waiting, if I get a letter, You can expect a fight coming from me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------yupp, im still working on my server so not many know about it, but like hell im going down without a fight! =D
I already told my members, No one is shutting my server down, but me. And that ain't gonna happen any time soon.
I thought I already settled this on the shoutbox? Its fairly simple, and Blizzard has solid reasons to take any server to court. Like what you ask, well because private servers are obviously against the End User License Agreement! I don't know if you even looked at the Terms or the License Agreement, but as soon as you install and play World of Warcraft. You agree to them, and since your hosting a private server your spitting in their face by violating the license terms. Don't believe me, I posted the EULA below.

Before you say something, the license also grants them to monitor your RAM for third-party software that might edit WoW client variables used to display and work with the client and server. And the client files, they don't care about us using them. Cause they know unless we edit them and find a way to distribute them to ALL of the players on our server, they're useless. They'd rather deal with a simple Model Editor than us about those. But right now if Blizzard wanted to know what IP address you were connected too, then they could do it cause they're arn't forcing you to play WoW.

If you have any other questions you'd like to ask me about legal terms about games and game designer rights. Go nutz

EDIT: Removed the codeboxed Terms & License agreement and replaced with official links

Links:
End User License Agreement @ WorldOfWarcraft.com
Terms of Use @ WorldOfWarcraft.com

Ram Yes, Files No.

That'd be like police searching you with no warrant, They couldn't use any of it against you in the court .

Trust me Klar, I understand you know Law, But I've been in trouble with it enough, I know how to use it and make loop holes.

As I said, they can come to me and try their best, but they won't do (( Flowers and butterflies! )). They may "own the rights" to WoW, But Any file on my computer, I still am legally the holder of the rights.

As for the server, its protected by the GNU Open source license, and Untouchable.

They can threaten, but they've done this before last year or the year before, and failed miserably
QUOTE (Sphere @ Dec 5 2008, 04:31 PM)
As I said, they can come to me and try their best, but they won't do (( Flowers and butterflies! )). They may "own the rights" to WoW, But Any file on my computer, I still am legally the holder of the rights.
True, you do legally own the WoW client files, but what I meant is Blizzard doesn't approve of modified this content and then using it to cheat on their official servers. So in a scale between your server and a model editor, Blizzard wants that model guy to die.

QUOTE (Sphere @ Dec 5 2008, 04:31 PM)
As for the server, its protected by the GNU Open source license, and Untouchable.
No no no, GNU Open Source License.. This license protects the source from being copied and renamed as something else without the owners permission. Once you build your core, your binaries have nothing to do with this license.

sigh....So, let me get this straight. ToxicWoW, ChaosCrusade, WoWScape, and all the servers who received the DMCA notice where hosted on SoftLayer servers? This could have been caused just by SoftLayer checking the services it was hosting, and notifying the right people, but it's my guess it is just a scare tactic.

If it is Blizzard taking real action, I would imagine the db projects will be the next target as it is the database that technically supplies all the copyrighted material, as the core without a database will be almost completely original.

As a rumor i have heard, apparently in the coming patch's blizzard is going to try and impliment a file capable of letting them know the IP of the private server you connect to.

It already does and has for a while. If you check your config files in your World of Warcraft directory, it stores your last realmlist and the name of the realm you were playing on. If this file is ever sent to Blizzard's server, I don't know, but it is a possibility.

As of Today, I would like to make a Statement.

I believe these rumors lately are false, and this whole thing to softlayer was a prank. This post will not be towards anyone, its just my explanation.

After reading this post

http://www.mmowned.com/forums/emulator- ... ction.html

I've started noticing some wierd, sketcy situations.

How is it That WoWScape, Hosted by Softlayer, did not get any of these Messages? If not hosted anylonger by softlayer, Why right after they moved hosts, did Softlayer get this notice?

Why is it that they are the biggest server out there, but not targeted?

How is it that only Softlayer, was targeted? Nothing else?

Could this be a scam, to scare people? to get attention brought back to WoWScape, showing they will not be "scared" by this? that they haven't gotten a letter, yet they know Info about this?

Its a scam. Don't be scared folks, nothing is wrong.
Sphere i merged your topic with this current one, im aware this is big news within our private community, so im trying to keep it in one thread (if possible) ~

~Imp
I don't know what to make of this. I've known for a long time the constraints of the EULA, and I know that the WoW;BC Client doesn't send out cache/config information. But I do know that the WotLK Beta client sent out all of it's config & cached info at login. This could be the future of the WotLK standard client, but the legal requirements to be able to do so are boggling.

They can (and do) check your RAM for 3rd party software that may alter the Client itself, but as for usage information of their client? Perfectly legal, I believe. Now, as for your Hdd, THAT is Illegal. That is similar to unlawful search and seizure, and Bush's Wiretap program. Unless your a Terrorist, don't expect them to be scanning your Hard Drives, lol.
...But I do know that the WotLK Beta client sent out all of it's config & cached info at login...

I guess the next step then is to disable that feature in some way before continuing any sort of work on wotlk. If not only to protect the core projets, but the noob who doesn't know any better when they connect to a private server. As if they can do that, they can start attacking individual player's and not just the projects. (Think about it, play on a private server, you play on no server.)

as long as I can connect to 127.0.0.1 it doesn't bother me
QUOTE (Sphere @ Dec 6 2008, 06:48 AM)
I'll be waiting, if I get a letter, You can expect a fight coming from me.

Dont stress, they are not coming after a 10 man server...

Back on topic, Its all bull(( Flowers and butterflies! )).
We're still not sure unless we can confirm all the information is true, in the meantime, hosts should be at the very least, a little more careful, even if this is a fraud, we never know...

P.S. If it is true, why start now? They could have done this a long time ago...
EDIT: I looked at another big server which i used to play on, Underworld of Warcraft, they too have recieved DMCA notice, but they are still running their server, ignoring a simple notice, so I do not think yet that we have anything to worry about for now.

Arikuza

it is true and maybe there should be a good server with own host and changing its ip every 20 minutes and then they won't be able to stop it.Btw i don't think they will sue them but i think some of them might be offered to work for blizzard as snitch cuz they do not know anything
hah yeah I dont think they will really do anything anyways

EDIT:
well i was talking to my friend who works over at blizzard-EU and he was saying basically they just want the money, they see private servers as a lose of money and also something to do with bots.. either way he doesnt know anything about weather or not they are going to be taking serious action or just threats etc, If i find out anything more ill let yea know, not feeling to hot right now so!

i am not realy afraid, cusz i am not rly active in private servers anymore, but dont forget, Everything can be cracked and secured ,so soon there will be PRIVATE servers, so u can only join whit an invite, '

u dont have to be afraid everything will be lost, as long , everybody still has current working version ,

keep this topic up

/sigh seems just like with pre bc
QUOTE (Niki @ Dec 6 2008, 10:52 AM)
it is true and maybe there should be a good server with own host and changing its ip every 20 minutes and then they won't be able to stop it.Btw i don't think they will sue them but i think some of them might be offered to work for blizzard as snitch cuz they do not know anything

I wouldn't be surprised, but then again, Blizz could've easily colected this info from the "free Server" spammers in trade channel on the retail servers. Either way, someone did their homework, or they did it themselves.

QUOTE (Factionwars @ Dec 6 2008, 03:39 PM)
i am not realy afraid, cusz i am not rly active in private servers anymore, but dont forget, Everything can be cracked and secured ,so soon there will be PRIVATE servers, so u can only join whit an invite.

Google is your friend ;P It's there, if you look hard enough to find it.
Advice for you hosts out there: a Dynamic (php/MySQL controlled) IP-allowed list for access to your server, is nice.

Windows Server 2000 (for proxy & LAN access) + LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PhP) Server = Underground MaNGOS Server. };P~

Works for us!
you dont even have to worry a bit only people affected are the ones with actual good highly populated servers going =]

QUOTE (master257 @ Dec 6 2008, 10:16 PM)
you dont even have to worry a bit only people affected are the ones with actual good highly populated servers going =]

My server is 200 accounts on the nose, and most of the pServers getting "Notices" are 150+, lol.
QUOTE (PoeTheGhost @ Dec 7 2008, 07:50 AM)
google is your friend

i dont mean that, rly private thing u can find whit google

We've been talking about what Blizzard is going to do about private servers and we're not even 100% sure if its even Blizzard sending these DMCA notices. Does anyone happen to know the email address of the sender of these notices, and I'll see if they lead to Blizzard Entertainment or some WoW server
It appears that Blizzard has started to take action against the WoW private servers. While there's no real evidence of this , forums posts in several places show that many of the popular servers are currently down.

A message was posted on the Vioku forums (A forum created for the community of the popular server Ani-WoW)explaining the current situation :

"Ok, so by now.. most of you should be probably aware of what’s going on..
But for those that don’t, I’ll make it simple.. “Blizzard Entertainment” have sent us a “copyright dmca notice” with a take down request, which needs to be done within 24/hours (btw 12 hours passed already). This isn’t a joke obviously, and to protect our asses we’ve decided to take the server down and cooperate with Blizzard on this request.. Is obviously that we don’t want to go jail for a game!

So here’s what we’re going to do (I won’t go into too much details): Our servers will remain closed until further notice, but is most likely that we’ll close our doors to World of Warcraft permanently.. This however, does not mean that is the end to our community and future ideas, after all.. our goal was to make Aniwow one of the best private servers by January.. remember that? Well, it might be an impossible task now that everything has turn down into us, but remember.. it’s never the end to something that received a lot of dedication (at least to my own personal rules), that being said.. there’s a second chapter coming up… no one never knows."

But there are more take-downs happening, For example Chaoscrusade (A server I used to play on a lot). They have posted the following :

"We regret to inform you that ChaosCrusade will be down until the issue with the received DMCA is cleared.
We cannot give a time/date or even an estimation at this present point in time but we will try to keep all of our users updated."

And then:

12/05/08: ChaosCrusade is pending with the law firm Sonnenschein.
12/04/08: ChaosCrusade has gotten a photocopy of a DMCA letter from the law firm Sonnenschein.

But the letter is recognises as a possible HOAX because
the letter is missing:

a) A statement made under penalty of perjury.
Subpoena. Lacking subpoena violates SoftLayer’s privacy policy.

Sonnenschein is the law firm from Blizzard , They have represented Blizz against those responsible for bNetd, (the software that enabled people to play Blizzard’s previous games online without using the official Battle.net server system.)

12/05/08: the DMCA passed as authentic. The future of ChaosCrusade will depend of the decisions the lawsuit will make over the next few days. All realms will remain offline.

This is all the information I got at the moment , if anything new shows up I'll add it.

and pic

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/9875/a ... rcwlx3.jpg

almost nobody here can confirm this is real or a fake phishing by some private server owners
I think if this was true the DB sites would have heard from blizzard now....
Databases are not illegal, that's like saying WoWHead isn't legal since they're an XML based web-base
Databases are illegal, all npc names items quests etc are copyrighted content which has been got from blizzard without their permission. Wowhead and other database sites have blizzards permission to get the data.
same as we aren't illegal cuss we only talk about it and have links to it, aslong we dont have it on our server they cant do much against us i guess
I've heard of a few projects making completely Non-Blizzlike Db's to avoid that issue, and they still got slapped with a DMCA because their Server still violates Intellectual Property Rights, and the EULA and the Software Liscence Agreement.
lol jeez just dont try getting your server advertised everywhere =P its pointless trying to get to those high ranks untill this dies down hah! anyways Dont worry about it, try not to advertise to much and if you do advertise make your advert link go to a enter page that does not directly lead to your WoW servers website to avoid such conflict =] anyways its all how you look at it, some people might just let them self get defeated =P
QUOTE (henkee @ Dec 9 2008, 08:39 AM)
Databases are illegal, all npc names items quests etc are copyrighted content which has been got from blizzard without their permission. Wowhead and other database sites have blizzards permission to get the data.
No, that doesn't even make sense. What are the chances WoW and Runescape would have a NPC that both had the name Thrall? No ones not going to start lawsuits for that
QUOTE (master257 @ Dec 9 2008, 06:29 PM)
lol jeez just dont try getting your server advertised everywhere =P its pointless trying to get to those high ranks untill this dies down hah! anyways Dont worry about it, try not to advertise to much and if you do advertise make your advert link go to a enter page that does not directly lead to your WoW servers website to avoid such conflict =] anyways its all how you look at it, some people might just let them self get defeated =P

Then they best not go beyond WoW 2.4.3.8086, because as of the next release, they plan on having an integrated host controller/reporter. (Or so I've heard) Which means, no more realmlist.wtf file, all realms you connect to will have an Authenticity verification from a Master server, the IP will be logged and reported, and no more pServers on unmodified clients. This is a rumor I've heard though, and I cannot verify it currently. Well just have to see where things go and hope for the best.
thats just it Poe its just a rumor they can not do that nor while they because there not about to redo there years of coding just because of private servers

you know its illegal to take our IP and another person's IP and get information from it, the most they could do is use it to "ip ban" us which i dont play retail anyways so i couldnt care less ;D besides to do something like that would take years of debugging and coding its just a costly hassle they wont even take, everyone is taking this all to seriously!

Calm down relax and continue on, if you get a DMCA notice then just simply go underground, duh lay low for awhile if anything change your name if you have to BUT HELL DONT WORRY SO MUCH.

Seriously if you really care about your server you will be taking the right measures =D

BTW im not flaming simply stating my opinion/mind this is directed to NO one but just stated in general!

Okay for now on, if your going to make a statement like "Blizzard can't shut my server down" please for gods sake tell us why or we're going to dish out the Epic Failz
QUOTE (master257 @ Dec 10 2008, 09:42 AM)
you know its illegal to take our IP and another person's IP and get information from it

Really? Show me the statute/US Law that says that. I dare you.

QUOTE (Klar @ Dec 10 2008, 12:05 PM)
Okay for now on, if your going to make a statement like "Blizzard can't shut my server down" please for gods sake tell us why or we're going to dish out the Epic Failz.

Amen to that.
EDIT: not worth getting into an arguement over =]
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/ ... -000-.html
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/2000aa.html

Are you happy now?
Lol i have a copy of the document recieved by servers i dont need some other links ;P
i saw this coming months ago, so none of this surprises me, we all know Blizz will stop at nothing, to remove things that take away their property income, so if people are shocked by this, well this is prolly a good thing for the private community, because you never want to get too comfortable with the way things are around here, it keeps ya on your toes, as nothing in the emulation community lasts forever.

on another side note, another reason i moved project silvermoon away from Toxic WoW as our host/sponsorship was because of this fear, and since TW is no more.

and arent we glad that i did move us away from all of that, since this isnt a private server, as it was best we werent supported by one that im sure everyone knew Blizz had their eye on.

everyone take care & happy holidays~

QUOTE (PoeTheGhost @ Dec 7 2008, 12:50 AM)
My server is 200 accounts on the nose, and most of the pServers getting "Notices" are 150+, lol.

My Server has 2345 Accounts as of current time. I have not recieved a notice. Its only softlayer users really it seems.

QUOTE (Klar @ Dec 9 2008, 09:21 PM)
No, that doesn't even make sense. What are the chances WoW and Runescape would have a NPC that both had the name Thrall? No ones not going to start lawsuits for that

True, They wouldn't get into an arguement over a database, it'd be pointless.

QUOTE (master257 @ Dec 10 2008, 11:42 AM)
you know its illegal to take our IP and another person's IP and get information from it, the most they could do is use it to "ip ban" us which i dont play retail anyways so i couldnt care less ;D besides to do something like that would take years of debugging and coding its just a costly hassle they wont even take, everyone is taking this all to seriously!

Its not Illegal to use Our IP, however, the software That has been talked about, has been something that more or less spys on what you do, and what servers you go to. It is illegal in that fact as its invasion of privacy on your systems, which means whoever said its not illegal, your wrong

As for this whole thing, Keep calm people. Blizzard has done this before, in the past. with Bnetd, PVPGN, etc. Bnetd was shut down, but PVPGN has stayed around this whole time, I'm pretty sure in the end blizzard will lose some how, as they have in the past on this subject. They'll fight it as hard as they can, but they can't fight the entire world of WoW emulation, it'd be just fail on their part to spend the money to do it.

so theres my two centz.

~Sphere
QUOTE (PoeTheGhost @ Dec 7 2008, 12:50 AM)

My Server has 2345 Accounts as of current time. I have not recieved a notice. Its only softlayer users really it seems.

QUOTE (Klar @ Dec 9 2008, 09:21 PM)

True, They wouldn't get into an arguement over a database, it'd be pointless.

QUOTE (master257 @ Dec 10 2008, 11:42 AM)

Its not Illegal to use Our IP, however, the software That has been talked about, has been something that more or less spys on what you do, and what servers you go to. It is illegal in that fact as its invasion of privacy on your systems, which means whoever said its not illegal, your wrong

As for this whole thing, Keep calm people. Blizzard has done this before, in the past. with Bnetd, PVPGN, etc. Bnetd was shut down, but PVPGN has stayed around this whole time, I'm pretty sure in the end blizzard will lose some how, as they have in the past on this subject. They'll fight it as hard as they can, but they can't fight the entire world of WoW emulation, it'd be just fail on their part to spend the money to do it.

so theres my two centz.

~Sphere
QUOTE (Milamber @ Dec 13 2008, 04:28 PM)
It seems like Blizzard is taking major actions against the private server community, but there's always a way around things! If they get rid of the realmlist and if they do log your ip and stuff, you can always get around it, somehow!

Besides, 2.4.3 will always be availible!

They may make it harder, but they will never make it impossible!

'

Thats the spirit

Guys , everything can be reprogrammed and cracked, aslong as the motivation will be high
QUOTE (Factionwars @ Dec 13 2008, 04:34 PM)
Guys , everything can be reprogrammed and cracked, aslong as the motivation will be high

Exactly

Very true you two. I don't think it'll really be possible to do anything against the Emulation world. Slow it down sure, but you can never shut it down